Sunday, January 9, 2011

I've got the Baking Fever!

I grew up around cooking all my life.  My grannie loved to put a meal on the table for her family, and it sure has rubbed off on me.  I love the feeling I get when I spend time cooking a meal and then watching as they enjoy the end product.  It gives me great satisfaction knowing that I pleased some taste buds!  BUT, baking puts the biggest smile on my face.  I don't know what it is for sure.  Maybe it's the science of it all and getting it right.  Or, maybe it's the fact that most baked goods are sweet.  ;o)  I can't forget to mention that playing some feel-good music and singing is a necessity.  I also love the process- starting with basic ingredients and seeing it slowly turning into yummy goodness.  To be honest, it is probably all of these wonderful things combined.  

So, today I cooked Rachel Ray's Orange Balsamic Glazed Chicken with green beans and  sauteed sweet potatoes.  After looking over some recipes on epicurious.com, it got me in the mood to bake something.  Unfortunately, my future hubby doesn't love love baked goods, so it's hard for me to make stuff and not waste.  On the website I came across Cinnamon, Pecan, and Currant Cream SconesThey seemed delicious, and I talked myself into them being a little healthy.  So, I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour and 1/2 cup bread flour to substitute for the all-purpose flour.  I only had a touch of pecans, so I used part pecans and part crushed almonds.  It added a nice crunch.  The texture in general was nice.  I didn't have any heavy cream, so I used the fat free milk.  Overall, the scone was wonderful.  Grant seemed to like it, and he said that it would be good with some sort of icing.  




Sorry the picture isn't so great, but they really are beauties.  ;o)
Happy Baking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment